Thiocol Sealants: Technical Specifications and Properties
In the implementation of construction, installation work is very often used material such as sealant. This article will focus on thiokol polysulfide sealants, their technical characteristics, properties and scope of application.
Modern sealant is a building material that is used in the process of sealing seams, joints and other repairs.
All sealants are divided into two groups:
- single-component materials that are ready for use;
- multi-component materials requiring pre-mixing.
Thiocol sealants belong to the group of multicomponent materials. These are two-, three-component compositions.
What it is?
Polysulfide (thiokolovy) sealant is one of the most expensive and reliable materials.If we consider its technical characteristics, it is worth noting that its basis is a liquid thiokol, in its structure resembling rubber. Polysulfide sealants contain polymers, plasticizers, fillers, pigments and structuring agents.
This type of hermetic composition has become popular due to certain properties and advantages.
- high degree of strength and elasticity;
- moisture resistance;
- low gas permeability;
- increased resistance to components such as gasoline, oils, alkalis, mineral acids, organic solvents;
- protection against UV radiation and other environmental influences;
- the possibility of using in different temperatures, from -55 to +35 degrees;
- excellent adhesion, allowing to apply this sealant in various industries and on different surfaces, including wood, metal and concrete;
- durability (the service life of such materials is more than 20 years);
- good indicators of residual strain.
Polysulfide material has several disadvantages.
- Incompatibility with plastic materials. This is due to the fact that the sealant contains a solvent, which has a negative impact on the properties of the plastic.
- After mixing, the material must be used in a short time (2-3 hours), otherwise it will lose all its properties.
- When using sealant, protective equipment should be used.
Polysulfide material can show its properties by 100%. However, for this you need to take into account certain recommendations.
"UT-32" and "U-30M"
There are materials that are used in practice most often. Among them - polysulfide sealant "UT-32", as well as "U-30M".
Thiokol sealant "UT-32" is used to seal the pressure seals. It is often used in the process of sealing electrical equipment, plug connectors, various metal joints that function in an air or fuel environment. This also applies to various designs in which brass, silver and copper contacts are absent. This sealant is also widely used in the engineering, aviation, instrument-making areas.
Thiocol material is endowed with a number of properties, including:
- high resistance to deformation;
- increased resistance to oil and gasoline;
- ability to resist well to ultraviolet rays, as well as oxygen;
- the ability to use such material at different temperature conditions (from -60 to +130 degrees).
This composition belongs to the group of three-component materials. "UT-32" is a white or gray paste that is diluted with a solvent. All components are thoroughly mixed before use. The surface where the hermetic material will be applied should be cleaned from dust, dirt, foreign substances. When removing oil and grease stains, the surface is degreased (using gasoline). Sealant is applied only on dry surface areas.
Thiokol sealant "U-30M" is made on the basis of liquid thiokol and cures at temperatures from +15 degrees to 0. It is used to seal fixed metal structures. The exceptions are brass and silver alloys. The structure is used at any climatic and temperature conditions.
It is used in combination with glue, which makes the adhesive sublayer. The adhesive is selected taking into account the material from which the base is made. The number of layers applied to the surface depends on the type of adhesive selected. As a rule, these are two layers.The drying time of each layer is from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours.
Before starting to seal the surface is cleaned from dust, dirt (using a brush). If necessary, degreasing of the surface or individual elements is performed. For this gasoline is suitable. It is better to carry out degreasing in small areas so that the surface does not have time to clog again. After degreasing, it takes time to dry.
Scope and technology of application
Due to its characteristics, thiokol sealant is used where it is necessary to prevent contact with various chemicals. These are, as a rule, gas stations, garages, fuel stations, fuel depots. This material is used in the repair of metal roofs.
Sealant found wide application in the manufacture of glass. With its help, sealing of seams, cracks, cracks in concrete, reinforced concrete structures, where the deformation does not exceed 25%, is carried out.
If you are going to apply such a composition, you need to familiarize yourself with the technology of use, which is the same for all types.
Before applying you need to be sure that:
- the surface is well cleaned from old building material;
- countersinking mounting holes;
- those areas where the material is not applied are covered with adhesive tape;
- material is ready for use.
If everything is ready, you can begin the process of sealing. To achieve good results, you need to take into account all the important recommendations.
How to choose the desired type of sealant, described in the video.