Types and methods of using decorative bricks for interior decoration
Modern housing design is represented by the finishing of various materials, among which the decorative brick is very popular. Beautifully made masonry originally transforms the interior of any room. To create the atmosphere of a village house or a princely castle, it is enough to choose the right color and texture of bricks.
What it is?
Facing (decorative) brick is a unique building material that has recently appeared on the market,but has already gained widespread use. It is chosen for interior decoration of apartments and country houses. Work with such a brick is easy, therefore it is often carried out independently, without resorting to the help of specialists. Due to the fact that this cladding product has high strength, durability and environmental friendliness, it is recommended to use it when decorating any premises, including children's rooms. Decorative panels are available in various color palettes, ranging from delicate white, to bright yellow and brown.
As for the texture, the material realistically imitates brickwork. Therefore, it is called universal and is easily selected for any stylistic design of rooms. Decorative finishing can be performed on cement, brick, plasterboard and foam concrete surfaces. Despite the fact that the lining of this material seems uncomfortable, because it creates the feeling of not being indoors, but on the street, many homeowners choose it instead of decorating walls with wood, plaster and wallpaper. This results from the fact that the brick allows to create a contrast transition between surfaces, pieces of furniture and textiles that is very fashionable in modern design.
In its structure, decorative brick resembles a certain combination of tile with artificial stone. Today, manufacturers produce this material, using clay, cement and gypsum as the main component. Unlike an artificial stone, a facing brick is characterized by a relief surface. It has a rectangular shape, there are also models with slightly rounded corners.
The main advantages of the product include:
- easy installation;
- durability and reliability in operation;
- high wear resistance;
- absence of components harmful to human health;
- excellent noise insulation;
- resistance to fire;
- wide range of model range.
As for the shortcomings, they are not, except for the high cost. But manufacturers have recently begun to produce budget material options that are not inferior in quality and are available for purchase to families with average financial income. In addition, a huge choice of material format allows you to save on finishing work. Traditionally, the product has the dimensions of an ordinary brick, but its height can be from 6 to 15 cm, and the length is 16-24 cm, the thickness of the tiles is unchanged and equal to 2.5 cm.
A variety of sizes facilitate the installation process and the lining is very fast. If the design of the walls is planned to be a brick that imitates rock stone, then it is necessary to take into account that the dimensions of the plates in this case are others - 210 × 102 × 48 mm. Their height is less, and the thickness is more. For laying such material requires not only a certain experience, but also time costs.
The construction market is represented by a wide range of facing bricks, each model range of which differs not only by price, external design, but also by the material of manufacture. Considering the latter indicator, the following types of products are the most common on sale.
It is produced by molding, in which the plaster or cement mixture is poured into special forms. After that, painting is carried out (if the color is not previously brought into solution) and processing. This technology of release is largely similar to the production of decorative stone, it differs only in the relief shape of the plates. At the same time, the material obtained from cement is characterized by greater strength and moisture resistance than that made on the basis of gypsum. Such brick they can finish the rooms with high humidity.
The main advantages of such plates also include affordable cost and environmental safety. The disadvantage of the product is that its installation requires the use of special glue and grouting. In addition, for cladding walls in rooms where there is a constant temperature difference and condensate, you need to use moisture-resistant plates. To do this, carefully read the product labeling.
This is the most expensive type of brick, which has improved physical properties. Release the cladding material of clay using a special technology, by exposure to high temperature. Therefore, the product is durable and resistant to external influences. It can be used for both interior and exterior. Due to the solid structure and variety in the colors of the plate ideal for the design of fireplace areas, kitchens and corridors. The width of such plates ranges from 160 to 190 mm, height 60 mm, and thickness 20 mm.
Clinker brick has a wide demand due to its low moisture absorption coefficient, resistance to temperature changes and durability.Also, the product is inert with respect to chemicals that makes it easy to clean and wash. The variety of colors, shapes and sizes opens up huge opportunities for the implementation of design ideas. The walls are lined with glazed, matte or relief tiles. The only thing that such a quality and beautiful product is expensive.
This type of product has good performance properties, since the plates are durable and very light. Finishing brick is available in rich color design of polyurethane and acrylic components. To originally decorate the interior with such plates, it does not take much time and money. In addition, recently on sale you can find products that mimic the finish of the 3D effect. Polyurethane plates are ideal for facing surfaces in the bathroom, kitchen, on the balcony and veranda, as they are characterized by high noise and heat insulation, and are not afraid of moisture.
This decorative brick is considered to be classic, as it has been used in interior decoration for more than a dozen years.In its physical and chemical indicators, it is largely similar to ceramic tiles. Most often it is installed in the bathrooms and in the kitchens. They make a facing product from low-melting grades of clay, with the addition of dyes, carbonates and quartz sand. Due to this composition, the material is durable and can acquire different shades, ranging from snow-white to black.
Due to the rich color palette, ceramic brick designers recommend buying for decoration rooms in the style of old classics and loft. Since in the process of production of the material it is equipped with decorative chips, it is characterized by an unusual effect, and the finish looks “aged”. The advantages of this product include inertness to the sun and moisture, high resistance to mechanical damage, durability, aesthetics and environmental friendliness. There are almost no flaws in the product.
In contrast to the above types, this brick has the highest strength. This is due to its special production technologies, in which the material is not produced from a clay batch, but a special solution is prepared, consisting of a crumb of natural stone.In addition, the plates are double heat treated, which increases their durability. The disadvantage of ceramic granite brick is its high price.
Recently, many manufacturers, in order to satisfy the needs of low-income consumers, have also begun to make decorative brick from foam plastic and polystyrene foam. Of course, this type of products is inferior in quality, but allows you to quickly and economically perform the finishing of the premises. Such plates should not be installed in rooms with high humidity and temperature changes. They are attached to the surface of the walls with liquid nails, and then painted in any selected color.
Recently, most homeowners prefer to lay decorative brick inside the premises with their own hands, since the workflow is simple and does not require special skills. In this case, such methods of laying as spoons (plates are placed with a long edge), butt or poke (when the material is laid with a short edge) are most often used for finishing surfaces. In addition to the classical methods of laying, also apply the following.
- Gothic. The peculiarity of the decorative facing is that the plates in each row alternate, the short sides are replaced by long ones or vice versa. At the same time between the rows it is necessary to do a small offset.
- Silesian. The placement of the elements in this case resembles a Gothic pattern, where a row is formed in 1 poke and 2 spoons, but the seams along the vertical through each row should ideally coincide.
- Cross It is a complex type of cladding, in which it is necessary first of all to lay a tychkovy, and then a spoon series.
- Track. Finishing is necessary to perform the long side of the brick, shifting each row by 1/2 or 1/4 of the block.
- Dutch A similar variant of the facing is in great demand in the Netherlands. The first row is formed by alternating spoons and buttings, and in the second they use only one butting.
- Brandenburg. Walls paste over, alternating two long and one short side of the slab. In each subsequent row, they must be changed in position.
- Bavarian. An interesting design option of the surface, where the long and short sides of the brick are placed unevenly. The end result is an original decor and an unusual color pattern.
In addition, the decorative brick can be laid in a suture or seamless way.To facing beautifully looked in the interior of the room, designers recommend carefully selecting one or another method of laying plates. It depends on the size of the room and its style. Upon completion of the finishing work, the decor must be given a finished look using corner details. It is possible to get an attractive and harmonious laying with the help of applying the material of different packing. It is interesting to look at the interior of the alternation of bricks, different texture, size, shades and thickness.
How to choose?
Before you start decorating the walls with brick, you need to carefully consider the overall design of the room and then pick up the material. The main criterion in choosing a product is not only its appearance, but also its quality characteristics. The room should turn out beautiful, stylish and filled with home comfort. Dark brick is not recommended for balconies and walls in small rooms, as it visually makes them dark. This is especially true of narrow spaces, in which it is necessary to alternate masonry with wallpaper or plaster.
White or gray brick, on the contrary, will give the room an interesting design and freshness.Beautifully decorated "antique" or in the style of a loft. If the family budget is limited, you can buy a foam brick for painting and easily choose a shade to finish. For facing the kitchen and bathroom, it is advisable to choose panels made on the basis of cement, they have a different size, have low weight and come in an interesting texture. In living rooms and bedrooms, finishing can be done with plaster bricks, which looks expressive and stylish, but is afraid of moisture.
As for performance indicators, when buying, you must give preference to products with such characteristics.
- Durability and durability. A quality product can reliably last more than a decade. The strongest is ceramic granite brick, and the most susceptible to mechanical loads is gypsum.
- Environmental friendliness. Despite the fact that in most cases only natural components are used for the manufacture of decorative bricks, there are models that add harmful impurities.
- Features of styling. For plates with significant weight, good surface preparation and glue with a reinforced composition are required.Lightweight bricks are easy to install, because they are easily glued to the walls and have high adhesion.
- Price. The construction market is represented by decorative bricks of various cost. In this case, the budget option is gypsum, and the most expensive clinker.
A huge role in the choice of facing material plays its texture. For example, panels with an imitation of rocky mountain, buta and pebbles are well suited for decorating walls near a fireplace and in a recreation area, where they can be combined with wallpaper and plaster. For decorating the kitchen apron, it is best to choose a brick with a smooth texture, it is easy to lay it in a seamless way, and the additional varnished surface is easy to clean. Glazed and polished panels are ideal for wall decoration near staircases, and are also often used for cladding doorways and window openings, columns and arches.
Beautiful examples in the interior
Interior decoration indoors using decorative bricks has become popular in recent times. This is due to the rich color coloring of the material, its beautiful appearance and ease of installation.In addition, facing plates can decorate not only smooth surfaces, but also non-standard architectural elements, highlighting the shape of window openings and arches in the design. For the decoration of walls in residential areas it is recommended to use a brick of natural and discreet colors. It looks good brickwork in cream, white, gray, black and beige. In addition, for each room, you can choose a special design.
- Living room. The walls, lined with brick, in this case will be an original addition to the interior and will be the perfect backdrop for placing the TV. In addition, the panels can lay out the individual compositions in the form of panels. A similar decor is most often chosen for living rooms decorated in the style of grunge, modern and loft. Depending on what colors prevail in the room, you can make an interesting display of the walls as a snow-white and dark brown brick. The main thing is that the veneer is in harmony with textiles, flooring and furniture.
- Kitchen or dining room. In this room, the decoration should perform not only aesthetic, but also practical function. Masonry, you can arrange a kitchen apron or decorate one of the walls.An excellent choice is brick for kitchens in a classic and modern style. White veneer will be in harmony with the glossy surface of the headset and technology. It is also interesting to look in the kitchen and light brown or beige finish, in this case, you can emphasize the beauty of the texture with light curtains and decorative elements made of wood.
- Bedroom. To design this room, which should create an atmosphere of romance and privacy, you need to choose the light colors of bricks. In this case, the room will have to additionally place glass and wooden objects. Gray laminate will be suitable for the flooring, for the ceiling - suspended structure of pastel shades, and it is advisable to purchase furniture from a natural array. A great addition to the interior will be a large bed with numerous pendants made of crystal or canopy. In addition, the bedroom should provide good lighting, thanks to the bright backlighting, it will be advantageous to emphasize the drawings and colors of the brickwork.
You will learn about the types of brick wall decoration in the video below.