Making outdoor flowerpots for flowers do it yourself
The territory around the house is the calling card of any plot. Its design is always paid special attention. An excellent choice of decor are outdoor vases with a variety of plants. With their help, you can create whole flower arrangements, or place accents throughout the site.
Advantages and disadvantages
Vases as a landscape decor, involving the manufacture of their own hands, have positive and negative sides.
The advantages include:
- Transportability. Thanks to their easy movement around the territory, it is possible to create new compositions, and during bad weather or in winter, transfer plants to the attic or veranda.
- The ability to decorate the yard, where the ground is covered with concrete or tiles, and planting plants in the ground is impossible.
- The function of the fence. With the help of street containers, you can divide the area into zones, make a cozy corner.
- The ability to create favorable conditions in each pot for a particular plant: a special soil, fertilizer, watering.
- Low cost. Compared to many other garden décor elements, containers save money. Handmade products make it doubly possible.
- Space saving. In the containers, you can place not only flower gardens, but also cultivated plants, use them instead of beds for growing cucumbers, tomatoes, greens, and berries. This is especially true for small areas in order to save space.
Vases for the street have virtually no flaws, but depending on the material, several of them can be distinguished:
- Short life Treats products from plastic and a tree.
- Plastic pots are harmful to health, as they can release hazardous substances into the air.
- Ceramic products are very fragile.
- Plants in ceramic and metal containers require frequent watering due to excessively rapid drying of the soil.
- Great weight. Concrete and stone products have this disadvantage.
Forms and sizes
Outdoor vases can be of various shapes, sizes and colors. Making them yourself, you can be sure that you get a product that meets all the required criteria. And its appearance may be due to the material used and manufacturing technology.
Choosing the size for the future pot, you should consider the space on the site.
In a small area, large, massive containers will look ridiculous and cumbersome. You should also avoid bulk compositions of plants. At the same time, on a spacious area, small, modest containers will be lost and will not perform their function of decoration.
The form of the container can be any. It is limited only by technical capabilities and fantasy. If the plot is to be designed in a certain style, then it will dictate the appearance of the street decor.
Choosing a material
The choice of material is due to such factors as the cost of the finished product, the specifics of its manufacture, the availability of the necessary tools for manufacturing, and the skill of the craftsman.Decorative flowerpots for a garden or a garden can be made by hand from wood, concrete, stone, plastic, ceramics, metal or from improvised materials.
It refers to short-lived materials, since the product is constantly exposed to moisture on the street. Such a product must be treated with a special tool that prevents rotting. In this case, it can be used for several years. The most common version of the container for flowers made of wood - making it on the basis of the stump. The inside of the trunk is scraped, holes are made for drainage, and the plant is placed inside. It is better if the earth is poured first into another container, and then placed inside the stump.
Concrete or gypsum
Simple and inexpensive materials in the work. Concrete and plaster products are durable, practical, resistant to environmental influences. With their help, you can make almost any form of flower. However, it will have a lot of weight, so it is better to do it right away at the place where its further location on the site is planned. Peat can be added to the cement as a variety when mixing concrete.In this case, the product will be made of a hypertube, which outwardly practically does not differ from real tuff or sandstone.
Stone vases are heavy and expensive. They look very presentable, distinguished by a long service life. The process of making a container of stone is quite complicated, so this product is best purchased in finished form.
Plastic products are characterized by a short service life and simple appearance. However, they are inexpensive and come in a wide choice of colors, shapes and sizes. Plastic containers are usually purchased in finished form.
Pottery or Clay
Such florists fragile, easily broken. A ceramic or clay product can be made with one's own hands if the technology is correctly followed, including firing.
Metal vases strong and last for a long time. Forged products look very original, although they have a fairly high price. The process of manufacturing a metal flower girl is time consuming and requires special equipment.
The choice of available tools for the manufacture of a pot is limited only by imagination.The container for flowers can be made from a huge amount of things that are usually unnecessary in the household: tires, bottles, old barrels, carts, baskets, buckets, tires, foam plastic, rubber boots and bicycles. Such products will be different originality and uniqueness.
From scrap materials you can make a beautiful flowerpot for flowers.
The easiest way - the pot from a part of the tree or stump. The best way to do this is birch. From the tools for the work you will need a drill and chisel.
- Drill a few holes on the surface of the stump. The more of them, the closer they are to each other, the easier it will be further work.
- Scrape the inside of the stump to the desired depth.
- Place the container with the ground in the recess.
- Process the entire surface of the tree with a special anti-decay agent.
In addition to the stump, for the manufacture of wooden flower you can use regular boards or timber. In this case, you will need a hacksaw and a hammer.
If the source material is boards, of them you need to put together four shields and connect them together. It turns out a rectangular container, which must be treated with a protective agent and decorate at will.
If the material is assumed to be a bar, the pot is assembled on the principle of a log house, as a designer.
Bars cut into the desired size, and on each side is done drank to half their thickness.
Then the whole structure is assembled and fastened with nails and screws. The finished product is ground and coated with a protective agent.
Out of concrete
On the basis of cement can make flower houses of various shapes and sizes. For this:
- It is necessary to prepare a form, most often it is plastic, arranging in all respects.
- Prepare the mixture to fill the form. It consists of cement, agroperlite and peat in proportions of 2: 1: 2. All components are poured into a suitable container and diluted with water to a thick consistency. It turns out a lot of mixes, it is very difficult to stir such an amount, therefore it is worth doing in several approaches, dividing the solution into parts. To make the flower container colored, dyes are added to it while mixing the solution.
- To lay out a bottom of a form cellophane. The main thing is that its surface is smooth, without folds. Any unevenness is imprinted on the finished flowerpot.
- On cellophane need to lay out the prepared mixture. To begin to fill the bottom, making it about 5 cm in thickness. To control the depth, you can use a toothpick or a straw. Previously, a cork wrapped in polyethylene is placed on the bottom of the future vase to provide a drainage hole.
- Then lay out the solution with the remaining surface of the form.
- When the form is completely filled, it must be left for 10 days to set. If the mixture dries out, moisten it with water.
- Ready container pass with a metal brush over the entire surface to remove all irregularities, and too smooth places to give a small relief.
- After that, the pot should be rinsed with water, dried, wrap film and leave for about a week.
- When the product brightens, you can remove the film and put it in the right place. The weight of such a flower girl is very large, so the process of its manufacture is best dealt with immediately at the place where it is planned to find it further.
To increase the structural strength, a metal frame can be inserted into the concrete layer.
In addition, with the same purpose in the mixture, you can add chopped fiberglass.
Of car tires
Automobile tires that are not used for their intended purpose are materials that often lie idle or are thrown away as rubbish. Of these, you can easily make a bright and original decor for the garden or cottage. Choose better winter tires without spikes, it is softer and thinner.
To make a flower container in the form of a flower, you need:
- Draw the desired contour on the side of the tire.
- Cut along the contour detail. To do this, you can use a knife for rubber or a jigsaw.
- Next you need to unscrew the tire on the wrong side. To do this, cuts are made throughout the tire every 5-10 cm.
- Pot is ready. It remains to decorate at will, cover the ground and plant the plant.
From plastic containers
A very simple way to make a flower pot is to use a plastic bottle, a barrel or any other container as a basis. It is enough to cut a hole in it for planting a plant, make several drainage cuts and cover it with earth.
However, in the case of a plastic pot, you should take care of its stability. If the capacity is small, its bottom can simply fall asleep with small stones or pebbles.If we are talking about a large container, it is better to make it stationary.
To do this, at the selected place you need to dig a metal pin.
The bottle is cut off the bottom. Then the bottle is “put on” on the metal pin with its neck and slightly goes deep into the ground. Ready pot can be decorated as desired and covered with soil.
The original idea is to use plastic and metal pipes for the manufacture of flower girls.
Pipes can be installed vertically. In this case, only their upper part is used for planting. If next to install several pipes, different in height and diameter, you get an interesting composition.
You can install the pipe horizontally by making holes for plants on the surface.
These original flower pots look beautiful along the paths, lawns, around the perimeter of houses and greenhouses.
For large outdoor flowerpots, you can choose the original decor, which will be the final touch of their design.
The easiest way is to paint the product with paint. You can use one shade for all the flower girls made, or you can create a multi-colored composition of all the colors of the rainbow.The main thing is that the planted plants harmonize in color with the colored container.
For plots with houses in old-fashioned styles, artificially aged flower girls will suit. To do this, they are covered with the chosen paint, and a layer of craquelure is applied on top.
To keep the paint for a long time, the surface must first be coated with a primer.
Another way to design a outdoor pot is to decorate it with various materials at hand. The decor can be created from cones, branches, small stones or pebbles, broken tiles, mirrors or colored glass, creating a mosaic effect. For this you only need a special glue.
If it has spilled or stained the surface, it must be removed immediately, otherwise after it hardens, it will be impossible to do.
After that, the pot should be allowed to dry. If tile, glass or stones are used as a decor, the surface can be further processed with a grout to complete the work. In addition to natural stones, you can use artificial, which will be perfectly matched in size and look more aesthetically pleasing than natural ones.
How to make a suburban area?
Selecting containers for flowers as the decor of your site, you should first evaluate their safety for people. For example, so often used tires from car tires - not the safest option. They can release toxic substances into the air and be dangerous, especially if there are small children in the family.
In addition to safety, the pot should meet the requirements for appearance: to match the size and style of the site.
Its size should fit harmoniously into the space. In addition, if the house and the entire site are decorated in a certain style, the flowerpots should respond to it.
Not all plants are suitable for planting them in street pots. To decorate a plot with flower arrangements, one should take into account the peculiarities of their root system, irrigation and the need for sunlight.
For planting flowers to fit these plants:
- Petunia These are easy-care flowers of various colors that bloom all summer.
- Pansies. Their flowering lasts a long time. They are unpretentious, differ in a various coloring and grades, grow up low, but fluffy.
- Ageratum. Differs in long flowering and unpretentiousness in watering.
- Fuchsia. Thanks to its drooping sight, it creates the impression of being in a flowering, fragrant garden.
- Verbena. Suitable for planting in containers, has a modest root system, can be combined with other varieties of plants.
Beautiful inspiration ideas.
Here you can find photos with various options of outdoor flowerpots, which can be made with your own hands for inspiration with new ideas and original solutions.
What designers and gardeners themselves have come up with:
- fabrics, napkins, filled with concrete and frozen forever;
- rubber boots of bright colors and different sizes as original flowerpots;
- ordinary bowls attached in rows to a wooden fence or strung on a metal pin like a Christmas tree or a pyramid;
- you can even build an alpine slide out of tires;
- broken ceramic bowls should not be thrown, shards can serve as an original decor;
- old galvanized watering cans, buckets;
- mosaic of old ceramic tableware;
- box of planks with a trellis for climbing plants.
Ways and poshavgovuyu instructions on how to easily and beautifully make a pot of cement, see the following video.