How to sew a zipper in a pillowcase for a pillow?
The pillowcase is an indispensable element of protection on the pillow, which is present in any set of bed linen. This part of the bed set can tell a lot of interesting information about its owner. For example, about the preferred style. As a pillowcase, you can assume what kind of lifestyle its owner leads, how often he is at home, whether he is a good owner.
A very interesting fact is the state of the fabric. Pillowcases that have lost their marketable appearance are more often used for sleeping, as from frequent washing the material becomes soft and pliable.
In addition to sleeping pillowcases, decorated fabrics for decorative pillows became quite popular. Their feature is the presence of a zipper for fasteners.
Modern housewives are trying to move away from the habit of acquiring similar products in the store, and increasingly prefer to make a pillowcase with their own hands, choosing a harmonious pattern of material for the interior of the room.
Ways to secure the lock
Before starting the main work, it is necessary to become familiar with the process of sewing pillowcases. Understand which materials to use. Understand the nuances and subtleties of the selection of fabrics, choose the right zipper. After that, it is necessary to decide which side will sew the lock, bottom or side.
For decorative pillows, a side clasp is generally assumed, and for a sleeping element, it is preferable to make a lock with a hidden clasp.
Starting the sewing process, the zipper must be fixed on the fabric. For those who prefer to sew by hand, you can use the fixation of the lock with ordinary threads. But for greater confidence and durability it is better to use pins.
Properly sew a secret zipper in a pillowcase for a pillow will be able to any hostess, while spending a minimum of their time. But the final result will last a long time.No wonder they say that the hand-made keeps the century.
Necessary tools and materials
In modern life, bedding sets with a zipper in many ways facilitated the work of housewives. The blanket in the duvet covers does not slip out, but keeps tightly in the presented area. Pillowcases with zippers evoke individual feelings of convenience and comfort. Pillows constantly keep their shape, and they do not need to be whipped before bedtime. In addition, the tailoring of pillowcases does not differ in complexity, the main thing is to properly prepare the required material.
- The cloth. Initially, you need to choose a color. For example, for decorative pillows it is necessary to choose colorful matter. In the crib, respectively, soothing shades. Before you start to create, fabric material must be washed. After washing it will sit down, and it will be easier to sew from it.
- Lightning. The length of the lock should be less than ten centimeters on the required side of the pillow.
- Threads. For the selected fabric, you must choose the appropriate shades of thread. If the material differs in bright colors, the most catchy shade or neutral is best.For calm tones of the fabric, threads are chosen that match the tone.
- Sewing supplies. The most important is the sewing machine. Do not forget about the scissors for cutting threads, and pins for fixing the zipper on the fabric material.
In order to understand and understand the subtleties of the process of sewing pillowcases with a secret lock, it is enough to carefully read the recommendations of experienced craftsmen.
The instructions for beginners step by step, each step of the work.
First you need to cut two pieces of fabric material, symbolizing the front and back of the pillowcase. In order not to risk, you should add to the size of the pillow and a half centimeters on each side to create a seam.
To get a straight line, it’s best to use a sewing cutter. Its feature is a round pointed blade. If there is no such tool, scissors are taken, and cloth is cut along the delineated line.
Next, proceed to fixing the lock. Lightning is applied along the entire edge of the material. The marks of the beginning and the end are set with a safety pin. It is important to clarify that the marks are placed on the fabric itself, there is no need to pin the lock.
Now you can begin the sewing process. Dedicated one and a half centimeters for the seam are lowered, and a neat line is made from the extreme part of the fabric to the pin on both sides. It is important that the seam is straight and level. And between the pins it is necessary to make a stitch line, but in no case should you tighten the thread. After work, it will be necessary to get rid of it, and a tightened thread will gather the material in a pile, which can take a long time to unwind. In addition, the material itself will suffer.
The seam must be ironed in the opened state, after which a zipper must be placed on it. It is important to remember that in this case the lock should lie face down. Fixation is performed with pins, then a sewing machine comes into play.
When placing the lightning on its rightful place, you should use a special legwhich is present in the design of modern sewing machines. The ends of the zipper need to stitch stitch. It is important to note that the thread should be as close as possible to the teeth of the lock. This factor affects the ability to use the finished pillow cushions with any filler, no gaps and folds will not spoil the appearance.
Reaching the fastener, stitch a flat line will not work.To pass this stage of work, it is necessary to show maximum accuracy. The leg of the sewing machine will have to be slightly raised, the lock unbuttoned, the little dog taken away in the direction of the finished seams, gently lower the leg, and continue the stitching. Identical actions will have to be done from the other side.
The seam, which was made at the very beginning between the pins, must be removed. The thread should be carefully pulled out of the fabric, so as not to tighten the seam. For convenience, the zipper should be unzipped at least two thirds.
So, secret zipper is already sewn into the future pillowcase. It remains only to connect the edges of the fabric. Each side is indented one and a half centimeters, and fixed with pins. Having passed the basic distance with a sewing machine, it is necessary to determine what the ears should be. For a right angle, it is enough to hold the machine to the end, and then simply cut off the unnecessary part of the thread. If the tips of the pillow should be in the form of "ears", you will have to work a little. When the main fabric length comes to an end, it is necessary to unfold the material at forty-five degrees, and draw a diagonal line. The remains of threads are removed with scissors.
The last stage is soothing. It consists in overlocking the edges of the finished pillowcase. The main thing is not to forget to install a special nozzle on the machine, otherwise you will have to correct the error, which will take an indefinite amount of time.
This master class showed that making a pillowcase with a secret lock with your own hands is not a big deal. Especially if there is a sewing machine. Those who prefer to sew with their hands will have to allocate much more time to get the finished result.
To sew pillowcases did not put a housewife in a stupor, and the final result exceeded all expectations, It is necessary to follow some tips that are shared by experienced masters.
- For the first time, sewing beginners will need to use a piece. Thanks to the pattern of the pattern with the required dimensions, it will be possible to accurately prepare the material.
- When choosing a zipper, it should be remembered that metal lock systems are unacceptable in this case. Only plastic models or plastic. It is important to pay attention to the teeth of the fastener. They should not be too soft,otherwise, after several movements of the dog, the clove may break off.
- All seams should be flat. The front part of the pillowcase depends on it. Slightly strayed from the direct direction, the pillowcase will get a curve appearance.
- Before going through the seam with the help of a sewing machine, you need to fix the bent edges with pins or secure with a free thread.
- Before cutting the material, it is necessary to measure the prepared fabric several times. Knowing the exact length of the pillow, one and a half centimeters is added to each side. This piece is intended to seam stitch.
- When sewing a decorative pillow, it is important to remember that the base is first made. That is, the pillow itself is prepared. Already after it additional elements of decor are sewn.
- If the chosen fabric of the decorative pillow has a special pattern, then the hostess will have to work hard. Especially when the image should be in the center. It will be necessary to produce an ultra-precise miscalculation, and afterwards proceed to the processing of the fabric.
- Quite often, pins are used to fix the fabric. They are very thin, and when they hit the sewing machine under the foot they do not interfere.But for the convenience of the hostess it is best to mount them not in a straight line of the seam, but perpendicularly. Then with stitched fabric they are easier to remove.
See the following video for how to sew a zipper into a pillow case.