How to choose a bunk bed for children?
Climbing the ladder on the upper tier of the bed - fun for the child. Preschoolers and teenagers love a sleeper of this format. This makes their room special and opens up new possibilities for games.
Parents are often interested in how to choose a bunk bed for children, so as not to regret buying after the first injury, whether such furniture is comfortable and how soon it will have to be changed. The fear of injury is absolutely in vain. Competently selected bunk bed in the right age will bring children only joy.
Advantages and disadvantages
Children's room should be at the same time cozy, functional and safe. And when a room is divided between several children at once, it is important to save as much space as possible for active games.
Ordinary single beds can not solve such a complex interior task. Folding sofas also do not meet all the requirements. The way out is to arrange a bunk bed for children.
The advantages of bunk beds.
- More usable space in the room. The two-level children's bed occupies vertical space. This is a functional area that continues upward, not in breadth. Due to this configuration, even the smallest room can be made more spacious.
- Visually, the room looks bigger.
- One piece of furniture performs several functions. Children love to use the bed for no purpose. This is their personal space, play area, storage space, and even, despite the objections of moms, the dining area. The design of modern bunk beds takes into account this feature. In it drawers for toys, bed linen, clothes are often provided. Addition can be a table, shelves, mobile modules, adjustable lighting, game attributes, elements of the wall bars.
- A bed of two floors does not necessarily imply two beds. There are models in which the bed only one - on the second tier, and the space under it is occupied by working, playing or sports area.
- Furniture like children. It looks unusual, everyone has their own place. For boys, the bed turns into a fortress or a ship, for girls into a cozy cottage or Rapunzel tower. The fantasy of children is unlimited.
- It's safe. Quality bunk bed has soft edging, rounded corners, stable stairs, high sides on the second tier. It is impossible to drop. It is assembled from non-toxic materials and keeps on strong fastenings.
Cons of bunk beds.
- Children under 4 years old cannot sleep in the second tier. Pediatricians and do recommend age of 6 years. There is a great risk that the child will fall over. During sleep, it is reliably protected by bumpers, but the parents will have to monitor the activity of the babies during the day.
- It is necessary to air the room regularly and with high quality. If this is not done, it will be stuffy and uncomfortable to sleep in the second tier.
- The bed on the top floor is uncomfortable to fill. If a child is not a teenager, there is no way to walk along the side and fix the blanket and bedding.He has to make his bed, staying upstairs. Doing it carefully in this position is more difficult and longer than standing on its feet.
- A cherished second tier becomes the subject of dispute between children. To avoid conflicts, you need to come up with a fair system of allocation of seats.
- Making the rearrangement in the room will become more difficult. First of all, the design weighs a lot. In the second, according to the parameters and style, the furniture is selected for a particular location in the room. Organizing it in the opposite corner is difficult.
- Quality furniture with an interesting design. - expensive acquisition.
- Solid bed can serve dozens of years, but it will get tired of children faster.
The variety of designs - one of the advantages of beds in two floors. Even the most capricious children and the most fearful parents will be able to find a compromise that will correspond to the child's ideas about personal space and meet the parental safety requirements.
In order not to get lost in the assortment, two-level beds can be divided into groups: by type of construction, by the number of beds, for children of different sexes, for children of different ages.
By type of construction
There are 4 types: a classic version, a loft bed, a bed with additional functional elements, a transforming bed.
It is considered a classic bed with a solid frame, in which the upper and lower tiers are located strictly parallel. Berths are separated. To climb up there is a ladder with rungs or steps.
Often found classic 2-tier bed in a small modification - when the lower tier is pushed forward. It looks original, but the main task of the modified design is not to add originality. According to research by psychologists, a child who is constantly sleeping downstairs may feel offended, depressed, less significant. When the upper tier does not obscure the lower, this problem does not arise.
Also, so that the lower floor does not look less attractive for children, you should pay attention to the design model beds. Sleeping places of such a headset are combined with additional functional elements and are not arranged parallel, but perpendicular to each other.
Classic beds on two floors with 2, 3 or 4 beds are detached and built into the alcove.
The loft bed is designed for one person.A sleeping place is located on the second tier, and the first is reserved for the functional zone. Do preschoolers, this area is usually a game. A school child needs a work area with a comfortable desk and good lighting. If the bed is far away from the window, then it is better to organize the working area closer to the source of natural light, and on the first tier to equip a sports or living area or a place to rest.
Some furniture factories produce beds-lofts for two children. Most often these are angular models, in which the sleeping places have a common side at the head, and below are two functional zones.
Actual loft beds with built-in storage. This arrangement of furniture saves space.
Embedded storage is one of the additional items. It can be made in the form of a spacious wardrobe with shelves, a clothes bar, drawers and baskets for small items.
When there is not enough room for the cabinet in the lower tier zone, the storage sections are dispersed throughout the hollow frame compartments. For example, this is a two-story bed with open shelves, with a narrow cupboard on the side, with a ladder and drawers that are located under the steps. Under the lower tier convenient storage box for bed linen.
At the side of the bed, it is useful to place elements of the wall bars. It does not take up much space, but it will be useful to the child during morning exercises.
Transforming beds - the most numerous version. All of them are equipped with one mechanism or another, which makes it possible to temporarily push and hide the details of the structure.
The main types of high-bay transformers are only five.
- Rolling out. When folded, such a bed occupies a space comparable to the size of a single bed. A simple roller mechanism allows you to make a double or even a triple bed out of it, pushing one tier out from under the other.
If the retractable bed with a roller mechanism, then the lower tier after rolling out will stand close to the upper one. If the movement is carried out with the help of gel wheels, the design can be completely divided into two separate beds. At the same time, move the movable part to any distance, just like an ordinary office chair.
Roll-out beds with three levels - the safest, budget and practical option for three children.
- Sliding. Model bed "for growth".The design of the frame allows you to increase the length of the bed from 100 to 180 cm. Complete with a sliding bed should be a special mattress. It consists of soft elements that are gradually added as the length of the bed increases.
- Foldable. At night, such a model looks like a classic bed with parallel sleeping places, and during the daytime it turns into a vertical panel. Compact, easy and safe. All the details of the mechanism are arranged in such a way that the child will not be injured when he folds the bed.
- Folding The mechanism of transformation of a folding bed is similar to a folding one. The difference between the models is that the folding bed does not perform any more functions, and the folding bed provides for a storage system or a work area.
- Modular. This furniture set, consisting of independent elements. They can be moved, added, deleted, combined, optimizing space in the nursery. Many of the design elements are interchangeable.
A complex headset usually includes one or more beds and additional elements (cabinets, shelves, baskets, drawers).The ladder can be placed in any convenient place and fixed.
A simple suite consists of two beds, which, if necessary, are divided into two single-tier beds.
Modern furniture factories provide a choice of finished products and the ability to custom-design furniture.
By the number of beds
If there are two levels of bedding, the beds on it can be from 1 to 4. Accordingly, the furniture is divided into 4 categories.
- To the first category include loft beds for one child. The dimensions of the bed are variable. For a small room suitable single. For a spacious room is better to choose a bed-loft. For small children who sleep together, double beds are relevant.
- Second category - These are classic bunk beds with a solid frame. Also, these include collapsible models and transformers with twin beds for two children.
- Third category - beds with three beds. Standard type of triple beds - L-shaped folding frame with two beds at the top. The third place is located on the first tier and is adjacent to the working or gaming area.
The L-shaped bed takes up a lot of space, so for small rooms there are transforming beds with a pull-out third floor downstairs.
Less common are three-level bedswhere all three beds are located one above the other. This model is suitable for a room with a high ceiling, in which they live teenagers. The upper tier is located high in relation to the floor, and it is not safe for a preschooler to start up on such a construction unless the bed has very high sides.
- Fourth category - for large families. Four beds combined solid frame. Two are located on the first, and two on the second tier. There is usually no functional area in such beds.
For children of different sexes
Separate from the brothers and sisters room - happiness for the child. But for families living in typical apartments, the layout and area of the room are not designed for this. Miserable children often share one room for two, and sometimes for three.
Choosing a bunk bed in a room for a boy and a girl is more difficult than for same-sex children. They have different interests, different wishes and a different pace of development.
Classic models on a solid frame suitable for children up to 9-10 years.Taking into account the fact that it is possible to let the baby on the upper circle after 4-6 years, and the age difference between the children is small, the bed will last about 5 years. Then it is recommended to replace it.
For children of different sexes from 9 years old and older, the more practical option are two types of transforming beds.
- Classicalwhen sleeping places are above each other, but with the possibility in the future to divide them into two separate beds.
- Roll out bed with the lower tier on wheels. During the daytime, the design takes a place equal to the size of a single bed, and at night the owner of the lower tier can move it to any convenient place.
For children of different ages
Often, a lot of time passes between the birth of the first and second children. As a result, in the same room are children with a difference of two years or more. The closer the children are by age, the easier it is to think about the interior, which will be comfortable for both. The greater the difference, the more difficult it becomes to organize in one room two radically different in function and nature of space.
For children under the age of preschool age (from 0 to 5-6 years old), baby cots are comfortable and safe. They come in different configurations, made in a different design, but all have the same set of characteristics.
Bunk beds for newborns and babies are strong, low, with reliable bumpers. They take up little space. Functional areas for children in the design is not provided. They can be equipped with a changing table and lockers for storing children's things to make it convenient for parents.
An alternative to such beds is a bunk attic with a cradle downstairs.
A junior schoolboy close neighborhood with the baby does not fit. The upper and lower tiers should be at a distance from each other, so that the activity of one and the whims of the other do not interfere with healthy children's sleep.
Until the youngest of the children is 4 years old, the lower tier is obligatory. For children over 5 years old, both beds can be placed at the top.
The most difficult thing is to place a kindergartener or a younger student and teenager in the same room. To solve the problem, transforming beds are suitable, which can be divided into two independent elements. Children feel comfortable on a bunk bed of a complex design, when the beds are separated by a decorative or functional element.
Materials and sizes
Bed design is a matter of taste and aesthetics. The size and material of which it is made is a matter of practicality. The use of low-quality raw materials reduces the life of the furniture. She quickly loses appearance, cosmetic defects appear on it. In some cases, they are traumatic.
The presence of toxic substances and resins in the composition of raw materials leads to unpleasant consequences. A child can develop various diseases - from allergies to asthma. Healthy sleep on such a bed is impossible. The child will feel tired already in the morning.
Strong frames for children's furniture are made from two materials: metal and wood. Often they are combined. Decorative elements can be made of plastic and textiles.
The material for wooden structures are different types of wood. More expensive furniture with a long service life is collected from the array. Cheap and temporary models are made from waste wood production (sawdust, shavings) and natural resins.
Beds from the massif
- Pine. A significant part of the products on the furniture market is made of pine.It is durable, it withstands the playfulness of the small owners for years, and retains its original appearance for a long time. With minimal decorative processing, the coniferous aroma is weak. Solid pine supple in work. From it you can assemble a bed of any configuration and complexity. It is amenable to various types of decorative processing: wood carving, brushing (aging), burning out, staining.
When painting under the varnish visible texture of wood and its color. When using color enamel, the coating is dense, even and durable.
- Birch. Birch raw materials are cheaper, so the beds for children do not require large expenditures. A bed of birch wood also turns out to be durable and serves for decades. In the nursery, it is especially good because it is odorless and has bactericidal properties. The material does not cause allergies, and the comfort of the bed ensures a healthy sleep.
- Oak. Oak bed will serve children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, so it is durable. However, oak is highly valued in the furniture industry, so the cost of the bed increases markedly. Oak wood is malleable for chemical processing.It is often repainted to the color of the tree of other species.
- Beech. Its wood is rarely used in the manufacture of children's furniture, but some specimens are found under the above-average price tag.
Beds made from recycled wood
- Plywood. This multi-layered sheet material from solid wood plates is a great budget alternative to expensive furniture. In terms of durability, it is inferior to an array, but it can easily withstand a dozen years of operation in a children's room.
It is convenient to make furniture from plywood with your own hands, cut out decorative parts of complex shape, paint and decorate in different ways.
- LDSP. Thick plates of laminated wood chips, covered with laminated film on top - a common material in the manufacture of children's furniture. Beds made of laminated chipboard are cheap, diverse in design, look good, do not require care. Laminated coating can be of any color. It is resistant and not subject to fading.
The service life of furniture from chipboard for decades less than that of solid wood furniture. This is a minus of material and plus. With a very modest cost, beds from laminated chipboard can be changed every 5 years, in accordance with the changing demands of children on their physical development.
The array and recycled materials in the aggregate give the best result.A bed on a frame made of solid wood with functional and decorative elements made of laminated chipboard combines the best qualities of materials. It is cheap, looks good, serves for a long time.
- Metal beds are equally popular.. The metal base is durable, resistant to damage, will serve the child all his childhood. It can withstand not only children's weight, but also a lot of two adults. In this case, the iron structure is quite light. The frame is assembled from hollow tubes, so it weighs less than a wooden bed made of laminated chipboard. Metal pipes on top are powder coated. It protects the material from corrosion and scratches. On top of the lacquering evenly lay down the paint of any color. It can be glossy, matte, glitter or pearl effect.
Less common are wrought iron beds. They are expensive, heavy and not always appropriate in the interior of the children's room.
- Wood and metal are used on some bed models.. Of the non-folding options is a combination of forged legs and backs with a wooden frame. In the design of transforming beds, the base is assembled from wood, and the moving mechanisms consist of metal parts.
Material and size are interdependent parameters. Beds made of solid wood and forged with a solid frame are expensive, weigh a lot, are designed for 20 years of service on average. It is better to purchase such furniture for growth, at least 180 cm long. Width does not play a decisive role. Her child can choose their own. The standard single bed size is 90-100 cm. If the area of the room allows, it is worth considering a half-bed with a width of 140-150 cm.
The height of the upper tier depends on the height of the ceilings in the room and the age of the children. For babies safer low bed. The upper tier should be located at a height of about 150 cm. For adolescents, any height that the child considers comfortable is acceptable. It is only important to take into account that letting the child under the ceiling is not worth it. Upstairs it will be stuffy to sleep.
The distance between the bed of the lower tier and the bottom of the bed on the top should be large. If an adult can sit up and straighten his back, keeping his head straight, the child will also be comfortable there.
If the apartment has low ceilings, then it is necessary to increase the distance between the tiers, not raising the upper floor above, but lowering the lower one as close as possible to the floor level.
Beds made of laminated chipboard, plywood and hollow tubes are cheaper, and their average lifespan is shorter. Such a bed can be purchased 2-3 times during the maturation of children. Bed length for a child up to 6 years old is 100-120 cm, for a period from 6 to 10-12 years old - 120-160, for a teenager and a young man - 180-190. Comfortable width - 100-160 cm.
The height is chosen based on the dimensions of the room and the age of the children. Kids need a very low model. For younger schoolchildren, a low one is suitable - about 150 cm. Teenagers are not afraid to be allowed onto a structure of any height, but they still have sides.
Wooden transforming beds with metal parts are present in the economy segment from furniture mass-markets and from expensive brands. In addition, they can be ordered by individual parameters, then the cost will depend on the complexity of the work. An expensive and robust model needs to be purchased immediately with maximum width and length parameters. Suitable sliding, folding and vykatnaya with wheels on the lower tier.
A cheap temporary model is selected on the same principle with beds made of laminated chipboard and plywood. The type of transformation is suitable for any.
Registration of a nursery - creative process.The main thing in it is to take into account the wishes of the child. If for kids up to 6-7 years old parents can fully take on the choice of beautiful and at the same time safe furniture, then the older children already have their own preferences.
At the age of 10, children love games, cartoons, bright colors, cute and unusual characters. Boys will love the bed-machine, the ship or the rocket. Girls love delicate colors, canopies, doll attributes. You can make a bed in the same style for a boy and a girl in the form of a castle. It will be interesting to look bed-bus. Often, children will love the marine theme, design in the style of a favorite cartoon, the animal world. Children come to the delight of bright colors and ornaments in the style of an Indian dwelling.
With children in adolescence is more difficult to come together in tastes. The Disney cars and princesses are no longer interesting to them. Girls and boys at this age can be passionate about computer games and comics. Their idols live in the series and on the stage.
No need to deny the child if he likes controversial and rebellious way. If the mother wants to decorate the room in bright colors, and the children insist on black beds, they will have to find a compromise.
In adolescence, the guys begin to appreciate the practicality and aesthetics of things.If children have the same interests and hobbies (music, sports, any hobby), they can be taken as a basis when choosing furniture design. Many of them like modern trends in design (minimalism, loft) and creative design (bed-hamburger, forge in the style of an alien ship, bed-hammock).
How to choose?
Choosing a bedroom set for children, first of all you need to evaluate the quality and safety of the product.
Signs of a correct bunk bed.
- Manufacturer with a good reputation. An unknown factory can produce decent products, but a factory with a name already has a certain reputation. In order not to lose it, the manufacturer can raise the bar of quality, but will not underestimate it.
- The second reason is the product warranty. The factory, which is confident in its furniture, the warranty period is always longer than that of mediocre enterprises.
- High-quality, stable construction of solid or metal. Body parts fit together perfectly, fasteners are not loosened. The basis under a mattress strong, does not bend. Such a bed can withstand the weight of two adults, and certainly survive children's activity during games.
- Smooth and uniform paint and varnish (varnish, enamel) covering of a framework of a bed. The thickness must be indicated in the accompanying documents.
- The presence of the sides on the second tier with a height of at least 25-30 cm. The height is calculated from the mattress, and not from the bottom. In advance you need to think about what type of mattress and its thickness.
- Soft edging on the edges of the sides, which protects against impact.
- Rounded corners, the presence of protective rubber pads on the protruding corner parts and fasteners. It is better to avoid serving metal fittings.
- Stable stairs, wide, flat, non-slip steps. The presence of the handrail is optional, but desirable. The child must hold on to something during ascent and descent.
- Long distance between upper and lower tier.
The second step is to think in advance about the growth rate of the child and his changing interests. Based on these prospects and their financial capabilities, you need to choose a practical model, which will not be sorry to replace in 5 years.
The third step is to consult with the children. The single interior of all the rooms in the apartment looks stylish, but does the child need a boring wooden bed in the color of hazelnut? Already at the age of 3 the child is without laborwill choose the design and colors to their liking, parents will only have to fit it into the interior of the children's room.
The choice of the manufacturer, who is not afraid to entrust the most expensive, depends on the reputation of the company and the budget for children's furniture. For high-quality and inexpensive wooden beds should contact the domestic manufacturer ("Legend", "Fairy", "33 beds"). Multifunctional transformers with a guarantee at an affordable price, with the ability to choose an individual design, will always be found in the stores of the famous Swedish concern. Costly products for small aesthetes have from Italian manufacturers. Italian furniture is not only beautiful, but thought out to the smallest detail.
Is it safe to let the child on a bunk bed - this is the question that arises from loving parents in the first place. Their opinions on this matter diverge. Many people think that it is better to sacrifice space than put children at risk. But still, most moms and dads are inclined to believe that a bunk bed in a room is convenient, practical, and makes children thrilled. And the problem of injuries and bruises is solved by precautionary measures.If you increase the height of the sides to 40 cm, sheathe the edges with soft material, provide handrails on the stairs and discuss with the children the rules of the game on the second tier, even the most restless child will not suffer.
Beautiful examples in the interior
The original bedroom set is a component of the interior. The background for it will be the room, therefore, choosing the design and colors, it is important to take into account the colors of the walls, the design of the window, the design of the rest of the objects in the room. For example, the design of the bed-ship will be supported by blue, white, gold or emerald colors in the interior, an aquarium, flying translucent curtains or plain carpet in color.
- Medieval castle will look organically against the background of a painted wall, ivy, 3D-theme wallpaper.
- A bed for two children does not fit well against the wall, but in the center of the room. She divides the space in half, and each child has a cozy place.
- Small rooms and custom layout will save the bed-transformer. In a bright interior a single-colored bed looks better. On a neutral background, a bed with an interesting design can become a central object of the interior composition.
- For lovers of creativity there are models of raw wood. They need to be coated with a primer, and the design is ready for experiments by young artists.
The design of a bunk bed can be interesting or concise, sweet or rebellious, but the main thing is that children like it.
Doctor Komarovsky will tell you all about the double beds for children.