How to make a beautiful flower garden on a private plot of land?
Arrangement of the land plot includes the construction of a house, an economic zone, the breakdown of a garden or a park, and the decoration of a landscape. Decorating the site involves the design of flower beds.
To create a spectacular composition, you need to know the basic rules for organizing a flower garden, which landscape designers use. Let's try to figure out how to choose the optimal shape of the flower bed for the site, which plants to prefer, where it is better to arrange a flower garden.
What it is?
The flower garden is a special piece of land where ornamental plants are planted in a certain combination. Ornamental plants include flowers, grasses, cereals, conifers and deciduous shrubs.Sometimes trees are included in such compositions if they are included in the visual line of the flower garden.
Selection of plants is carried out according to the principle of a harmonious combination of the color of foliage and inflorescences, the correspondence of the external structure of the ground part of the branches, stalks, and the form of the crown of different specimens among themselves.
Taking into account the timing of flowering, the requirements for the composition of the soil, shade tolerance, winter hardiness and watering, nearby plants should have similar requirements for growing conditions. It creates a single comfortable environment, providing maximum decorative species.
The main task is to arrange a flower bed with a constant decorative effect throughout the vegetative season.
Plants are grouped in a variety of geometric forms or freely placed on the site, while visually stand out against the general background, have clear borders in the form of a border or are part of the landscape. The placement of flowers may differ in height: to be in the plane of the earth or located on a natural or artificial relief.
Knowledge of these features of the organization of the flower garden will help in the competent design of the space.
Flower beds are formed in a regular or naturalistic natural style:
- Regular style inherent symmetry, regular geometric shapes, the axial structure of the composition.
- Natural style or English uses the surrounding landscape to accommodate a flower garden of free outlines.
In order to determine the style, the first thing you need to pay attention to is the functional purpose of the flower garden.
A flower garden in the front area of a private house is decorated with all kinds of pomp, the most vivid plant specimens are planted here, these ceremonial plantings are located in the entrance area, in front of the porch, along the path from the entrance gate to the entrance to the house and are the hallmark of the estate. The arrangement of these compositions is most often regular; they consist of repeating groups of identical plants alternating with each other.
May be in the form of a rectangle, circle or narrow strip along the track.
Plants are selected in accordance with the chosen style of the entire ceremonial zone and the buildings located here. For classic-style mansions, choose roses, peonies, lilies, rhododendrons, clematis, hosts, various conifers.For a cottage with a log house, an ethnic landscape design with perennial daisies, dahlias, Belgian asters, sage oak groves, phloxes, planted in chaotic, but beautiful groups is more suitable.
In the garden, flower beds look better and have no regular structure. Garden floristic compositions are designed to decorate the landscape of the area, here it is worth using relief or stones for flower beds.
The accent here can be trees or shrubs, around which suitable flowers and ornamental herbaceous plants will be located.
Natural flower gardens are becoming increasingly popular, they are composed of plants growing in this climate in nature. In the middle lane is wormwood, sage, catnip, mint, cereals, thyme, tutsan and other plants. Each species must be planted at least seven copies to create the desired color spot. Such compositions look very organic in gardens or park areas.
Flower gardens can be collectible. One type of plants, but different varieties planted array. The rosary is a bright representative of such compositions. This type of flower garden can be decorated as a ceremonial area, if decorated in a geometric form, and located in a free style among other greenery.These mono-flowering plants are distinguished by sophistication and cause constant interest among visitors.
According to the growing conditions, there are solar and shady beds. They differ in the composition of plants. If sunny flower beds are more filled with flowering plants, then grassy plants with beautiful foliage, such as hosts, ferns, and conifers, are used more in shadow compositions. If in the first case the emphasis is on the beauty of the inflorescences, in the second - on the play of the shape and color of the green.
When selecting plants, pay attention to frost resistance, whether you need shelter for the winter, whether the shelter of the flower garden look will spoil it. The wooden frames on the plants in the front area in the autumn-winter period do not look very nice.
The irrigation regime and the composition of the soil on one bed try to withstand the same, the plants are selected with the same requirements for these conditions. Drought-resistant cereals will lose their decorative effect next to moisture-loving hosts.
To design a flower bed, the harmony of color combinations is the most important condition; if you do not pay enough attention to this issue, you can get a colorful vinaigrette.It is necessary to familiarize themselves with reference books with color schemes of all the inflorescences that I would like to place on one bed, to imagine how they will look next to or to use ready-made sets of plants that are offered by designers.
The flower garden looks aesthetically pleasing with plants of the same color, for example, white: saxifrage, bleaching center, white iris, white bell, lily, white rose, peony, white chrysanthemum for autumn flowering. Such compositions are called monochrome.
Flowers can be located not only in the horizontal but also in the vertical plane. Beautiful flowering or decorative leafy vines decorate garden fences or install forged elements to support climbing roses or clematis. The designs twined with flowers become vertical accents of a garden.
A competently organized flower bed looks beautiful all season, it is convenient to take care of it and it does not require frequent updating of plantings.
Types and forms
For many decades of landscaping gardens and parks has developed a classification of the forms and forms of flower beds.
The first place in the landscape design belongs to a flower bed that has the correct shape of a circle, oval, rectangle, triangle or rhombus.
This composition consists of symmetrically located plants with a pronounced center.To emphasize the central point, an artificial mound is sometimes made, but more often the plants are planted in height: high in the middle, low at the edges. The radial structure is emphasized with color.
Traditionally, a flower bed is arranged in the front area, so that it can be viewed from all sides, it is surrounded by paths or a lawn. The basis of the flower bed is made up of perennials, they are the frame and keep the shape of the garden figure in the autumn-winter period. Annuals fill the main space during the flowering period, the flowered specimens are removed and replaced with the next flowering species, which has other flowering periods.
Such a flower bed has clear boundaries that highlight the floral array on the background of the lawn. The border is arranged with the help of an extreme range of flowers, undersized trimmed conifers, a strip of mixed soil or a border. Borders here are made of natural stone, brick, metal or cast concrete curb, decorated with stucco.
Another group of ceremonial decoration of the site is the ground floor. This is the oldest type of flower garden, consisting of a floral carpet pattern. The drawing consists of a patterned ornament with the use of low, brightly blooming annuals.The pattern can be abstract, repetitive, and can have a specific plot or depict a specific picture.
The size of the orchestra varies from very small compositions to several hundred parts of the floral ornament.
Derived from the stalls was a narrow band of ornamental plants - rabatka. It also has a symmetrical composition of the same elements. Its length is not limited, but the width should be proportionally narrow to create a visual effect of elongation. The review should be equally good from all sides.
In fact, this is the same flowerbed, only elongated. Rabatka located along the house, in the middle of the main avenue or on both sides of the track.
On the basis of the first two types, a variant of a modular flower bed was formed, in which flower sockets are interspersed with a coating material in a checkerboard pattern.
The flowerbed organization scheme of the mixborder is becoming increasingly popular. Its bulk is perennial plants. The emphasis is on the preservation of decorative throughout the year. This led to the widespread use of evergreen conifers in mixborders.Flowers complement the plants with a beautiful color scheme or an unusual form of foliage.
Also attention is paid to the habit and originality of the crown form of shrubs. All seasons use the decorative effect of cereals. The name itself suggests an aesthetic mix of plants that are arranged in tiers from high to low, like an amphitheater. For better visual perception.
The size is limited in width; it should not exceed 1.5 the height of the largest plant of such a flower bed. Length can be any. Usually placed along a fence or around a central lawn.
An English garden with natural flower gardens is always in fashion. Flowers grow freely between trees or groups near the decor in the form of objects of peasant life, often create beautiful thickets near the buildings and around the stone retaining walls.
The brutality of the stone is very beautifully combined with the tenderness of flowers and greenery of the needles. This was the basis for the appearance of rocky gardens. These flower beds highlight the stone component.
The multilevel relief hill from large stones becomes, if necessary they are fastened by cement mix.Pockets are filled with earth. Ornamental shrubs, ground cover plants, junipers, dwarf thuja are planted in them.
A kind of rock aria is an alpine slide, only its device is more complex with the use of rocky rocks, selection of an alpine mountain range of plants.
Garden designers offer to artistically beat some special plant on the background of a lawn or a monotonous wooden fence. This flower garden, consisting of a single plant, with original features, is called a soliter. This may be a tree with a beautiful crown or clematis, decorating the partition, or coniferous tree of unusual shape, or a giant grass.
Still, the basis of any flower garden are flowers and herbs, which one is better to prefer?
Plants are divided into flowering and decorative leaves. Beautiful flowering plants are mainly used to create flower beds and for accents in mixed flower beds with coniferous and deciduous shrubs. The names of flowering plants can be listed endlessly.
Annual flowers have the greatest decorative effect.they allow you to decorate the site in one season, have a wide range of colors, vary in height and size of the outlet, allow to diversify the color palette of the flowerbeds every year, do not need special dressings, bloom for a long time.
Among them are popular portulaca, marigolds, petunia, lobelia, calceolaria, iberis, mallow, nasturtium, and others. However, to lengthen the flowering season, they are all grown through seedlings, which creates additional trouble for the gardener.
Many prefer perennial plants, they can develop and bloom for several seasons and require only weeding and fertilizing. Their flowers are more spectacular; they are roses, peonies, lilies, clematis, hydrangeas. They invariably cause admiration for their elegance and aroma. These magnificent flowers are well combined with thujas, junipers, cypress.
The ephedra began to be actively used for decorating plots in central Russia not so long ago, but gardeners have already won love for the variety and beauty of needles: from silver in spruce to bright yellow in some varieties of tui.
More and more cereals come into fashion.They create a beautiful picture, covered with fluffy spikes of various colors: gray, yellow, burgundy and green gamma.
To create a bed of continuous flowering combine different types of plants. For the spring period, plant bulbous: crocuses, tulips, daffodils, hyacinths. In summer, the letniki delight with their beauty.
Perennial plantings from summer flowering pass to autumn colors of chrysanthemums, gladioli, dahlias. Roses have a very long growing season and bloom until frost. Cereal and coniferous plants create the framework of a flower bed in the cold season.
To enhance the decorative effect, you can plant potted flowers of tropical origin. Being by nature perennials, they are used as letniki because of the brightness of colors and a long flowering period. These are begonias and streptokarpus.
However, they must be grown in potted room conditions in advance, and if desired, samples should be stored, transplanted in pots again in the fall and transferred to the house. Another option: place pots with these plants in the garden for the summer, and in the winter period to bring into the room.
If the territory of the dacha is small and there is a need to grow vegetables,then you can arrange a decorative garden: with the right approach, it will look like a flower bed, decorate the site and bring benefits.
- Before you break the flower bed, you must choose a place on the site.
- Determine the type of flower garden:
- The path from the gate to the porch is better to draw a floral curb or a rectangular ridge. Along the wall of the house or the fence will be appropriate to equip the mixborder. It is good to decorate a long fence with vertical tapeworms from flowering shrubs or vines.
- In the courtyard of the mansion with a large plot of land, a classic flowerbed or a lawn with an orchestra will look spectacular.
- A small suburban area should be issued in the English style with a free layout of flower beds.
- In the presence of relief or free space, you can give preference to rock aquarium or alpine hill.
- After that, it is necessary to estimate the light intensity, the composition of the soil and the relief. Based on these conditions, do the selection of colors. A plan is made for planting plants according to the size of the adult specimen.
The sequence of actions:
- At the first stage, the marking of the flower bed is made, the contour of the flower bed is outlined on the ground.If necessary, dig a trench to install the curb. The bottom of the trench is strengthened and the fence is mounted.
- The next step involves working with the soil. If the soil corresponds to the selected plants, then the earth is simply dug up. To replace the soil, the upper layer is removed, drainage is arranged and filled with the necessary soil mixture.
- The third stage is the direct landing of plants, here you need to act according to the scheme. May be confused by the presence of empty places left for the development of flowers and shrubs. You can not resist the temptation and seal planting, closely planted plants begin to compete for food and light and their decorativeness decreases.
- When organizing a flower garden in a rustic style, a front garden is arranged in front of the house. Here it is better to choose flowers characteristic of this climatic zone and traditional in the culture of the population of this area. The role of the border is usually performed by a low fence, the replacement of the soil is not required, since the zoned flora is used.
- Along the fence are planted vertical accents in the form of lianas or a hedge is made. The ephedra or shrubs of temperate latitudes are planted in a compacted pattern.The lower part is decorated with decorative flowers, planted in the form of a border.
- For busy people, it is worthwhile to dwell on a bed full of perennials. Another name for such a flower bed is for the lazy. Although this name does not reflect reality: weeding, feeding, watering take time and effort.
When using perennial plantings, annual spring planting can be avoided. Having worked once, it is possible for five or six years not to transplant plants in a perennial flower bed.
For such a flower bed is best to arrange a mixborder, rock arion or alpine slide. Very impressive is the composition of some conifers of different species.
When organizing a flower bed is better to use the following recommendations.
- When choosing a flower garden design, you need to take into account the surrounding landscape and the style of buildings on the site. A set of flowers for a plot in a pine forest will differ from a set for a yard in an apple orchard. In the first case, hybrid tea roses, rhododendrons, hyacinths, cannes, and clematis will look harmonious. In the second decoration will be phlox, chamomile, chubushnik, dogrose.Polyanthus or floribunda roses, lined with wormwood or catnip, looks great in a natural garden.
- Next to the log house will not look parternaya flower bed with a fountain or a border of forged items. The border for the flower bed should be combined with the material of the tracks and the contents of the flower bed. If natural stone or brick was used for the tracks, then it is better to make a curb from these materials or from metal.
- Paths from wood cuts will be beautifully complemented by framing a flower bed of hemp.
- Dirt paths or lawn can be separated from the flower bed by a border of flowers or a strip of gravel.
- For vertical accents of the rose garden it is worth using zoned climbing roses on supports. Modern covering materials make it easy to keep roses in winter.
- A spectacular device for decorating a flower bed is the use of light. Low lamps can be connected to electricity, but it is more convenient to use solar panels. The composition of cereals gets a fantastic view thanks to the backlight.
Beautiful examples and options
Landscape design is subject to the main artistic and architectural trends.The style of the house and the site determines the details of the flower beds. Modern minimalism makes the border part of the artistic composition on a par with plants.
Very decorated with a flower bed of water or a stream. Moisture-loving flowers, willows and large leaves of the host create a frame for the water surface. The rustic style of the flower bed harmoniously looks with elements of the peasant situation and symbols of rural life.
A delightful parterre flower garden in front of a small house turns an ordinary courtyard into a work of art.
A portable flower garden can decorate any abandoned and unsightly corner of the yard.
In front of the windows in the northern part of the house, it would be a good decision to equip the decorative-leaf mixborder. Preference is given to conifers, ferns, hosts, astilbam.
In the shade of trees, geyhery, begonias, bouzulniki, rogersja, bathing suit, red-brown geranium, geyherella, badan feel great. Their leaves are distinguished by the elegance of their forms and the originality of bright colors.
In this video you will find a practical guide on how to break a flower bed near the house.