We design landscaping for a small suburban area
Having a country plot or a cottage, you always want the house and the plot to look beautiful, reflect the individuality, accuracy and originality of their owners. However, in a small area it is impossible to do what is planned, there is not enough space for this. But it is possible to decorate the territory beautifully on any area, having carefully thought out the landscape design.
The main task in the development of landscape design is to plan the territory of the yard, in accordance with the wishes of all family members. Someone wants to leave a place for the garden, someone wants to put a gazebo and barbecue facilities, and if there are children in the family, be sure to provide a place for games.Having defined the functional areas, the rest of the space can be allotted for decorative elements, flower beds and trees.
To make a small area really functional and beautiful, you need to follow three rules of landscape design:
- On the territory there should not be massive buildings. Of course, the premises are needed, as long as they are small. It is better to house the house vertically, completing additional floors as needed. The remaining buildings are better evenly distributed throughout the territory. Shed and bath can be placed on the edge of the site, and a gazebo - in a secluded place near a large tree or hedge.
- You should not choose deaf fences. For a small courtyard, they are absolutely not suitable. It creates a feeling of confined space, which is reflected in the mood and well-being of people. In addition, a deaf fence visually reduces the area. Light fences will do.
An excellent solution would be to put on a perimeter climbing plant.
- When choosing trees, it is better to stop your choice on stunted species. Large trees as they grow will absorb more and more space, which is already very small.To save even more space, several types of trees can be grafted onto one trunk at once: several sorts of apple trees, or plums and cherries together. For trees, it is better to take a separate zone, and not to distribute them throughout the territory.
The choice of style and design
It is better to begin planning the design of a site by drawing up a detailed preliminary plan. You can use special computer programs, or you can sketch out a sketch on paper. On the plan, it is necessary to indicate all the buildings, designate all the planned zones, and also note where trees and shrubs are planned to be planted.
In addition to the scheme of the territory, you need to decide in what style the space will be decorated.
The style can be regular or natural:
- Regular style suggests some symmetry, concentrating bushes and trees around an imaginary axis. Everything on the plot draws geometric shapes without smooth lines. The tracks are laid only in a straight line. This style is more suitable for large areas, however, it can also be applied in a small area.
If it has an elongated shape, a rectangular pattern is suitable; for a square one, a pattern that is approximately equal on all sides, evenly distributed over the territory.
- Natural style (or landscape) implies maximum closeness to natural nature. All plants should look like they themselves grew. The tracks are laid with bends and irregularities. Welcome to the uneven surface of the earth. If it is not on the site, you can create a small hill artificially. A good solution would be to make it a small waterfall or a stream with a decorative bridge or alpine slide.
The effect of uneven and wild plot can also be achieved by planting a number of plants, different in height, shape and color.
Starting planting plants, you should follow some rules:
- Each plant requires its own level of light and moisture.
- The height of bushes and trees should increase from south to north. Low-growing seedlings are located in the south, and high - closer to the north.
- It is necessary to assess the fertility of the soil. If the soil is infertile, you can bring it to the site to order. Manure and compost will begin to be beneficial only after a few years.
- It is necessary to plan in advance the color scheme of the whole territory. Properly selected colors will help to visually increase the space.
- Opt for only a few types of flowers and ornamental shrubs. Excess varieties and colors will create a sense of bad taste and lumbering space.
- Start gardening better with flower beds. Organically look flower beds, located on opposite sides of the entrance. To arrange a flower bed, you can use any available tools and materials. So, the flower bed will be original and unique.
At each site, be sure to consider creating a cozy courtyard, where the whole family will gather. You do not need a large space. Enough to protect this area, make it a secluded place for a relaxing holiday.
If space permits, it is imperative to think of a place for eating in this area. You can build a wooden platform on which to place the table, chairs with a soft cape, a brazier or a stove and deck chairs. However, it can be limited to the usual beach table with chairs on a beautiful lawn.
If there are small children in the family, the brazier can only be allowed mobile, which is unnecessary to be removed away. The priority is a playground.
It is necessary to think through how to organize a place for children's games. For kids it will be good to put a sandbox and a small slide, if the area allows, to leave room for an inflatable pool. For older children, you can put a sports complex, a table for tennis.
Also in the recreation area, you can arrange a gazebo, garden swings, hang a hammock under a tree or just leave a clean lawn, where you can spread a large blanket or play various games.
Several interesting ideas can not only visually expand the space of a small suburban area, but also add to it uniqueness, originality and well-groomed appearance:
- Planting lawns and flower beds on the roof of buildings. This technique allows you to visually balance the land and the house, which gives additional volume and space. In addition, a green roof provides additional insulation for the house. Even on the hottest day in this room will be cool.
- Garden for growing greens and spicy grass. It does not need a lot of space, you can arrange it in hanging pots, and it will look very original. In addition, the herbs are very fragrant and elegant.
- To rally the family and bring all its members to the gardening process you can plant a family tree. Children and adults will enjoy watching how it grows and grows stronger, care for it. It can become the center of the entire landscape, around which all new compositions and plants will gradually appear.
- For registration of a beautiful corner, you can create coniferous compositions. This will win the useful area of the territory. Conifers have a rich crown, so a few bushes and trees will be enough to decorate a certain area magnificently.
- Mini-garden. If the full beds do not have enough space, you can plant ornamental vegetables that grow miniature in size. Another option is to grow full-fledged vegetables, but only those who love only all family members. To save the territory, the garden can be made two-tier.
- Garden on the terrace or veranda. It can be organized with the help of vertical gardening or planting plants in pots.
- The organization of the garden in the Japanese style. In such a garden, everything is presented in miniature: trees imitating centuries-old trunks, small waterfalls, a rock garden that resembles majestic rocks, mini-bushes.In this garden, everyone can feel like a giant.
Secrets of expanding space
In order to make the site visually larger, you can use several techniques:
- All lines and shapes should be as smooth and smooth as possible.
- It is better to make the track smooth, with bends and loops. The longer the path, the more bends it has, the longer it will take, and this creates a feeling of wider space. The end of the walkway can be “dissolved” in the greenery by dropping lianas and bulky shrubs on the edge of the plot. It will give the impression that the garden has a continuation behind these vines.
- On the site you can disperse the decorative compositions of flowers and garden decorations. The more items you can pay attention to, the less a person will look at the entire site as a whole, assessing its size.
- Do not arrange and plant too many beds and plants. Excess vegetation will create a feeling of congestion and clutter.
- The presence of a mini-pond will add a territory of freshness and lightness. You can build a small pond, trickle, well.However, if you plan to make a reservoir with flowing water, this point must be coordinated with its neighbors. The sound of running water can cause irritation and be too intrusive.
- Remote areas of the territory need to be clarified as much as possible. For this purpose, you can plant white and yellow flowers around the perimeter. So, the borders will be visually moved away.
- The fence is better to choose the most transparent, lightweight, not deaf. However, sometimes adjacent areas are too close, and a rare fence creates an uncomfortable feeling. An excellent way out would be the fence-louver, which hides the territory only when necessary.
- If a building with a blank wall is located on the border of the territory, it can be fixed with mirrors that visually make the area larger. The mirror can be large and unified, and can be a composition of small mirrors, which will additionally act as an original decor.
- Plants are better planted around the perimeter around the center of the site. So there will be a feeling of being in a large and spacious garden.
A few helpful tips will help make a small area even more comfortable and beautiful:
- Use vertical gardening. In a small area, this method will help create a lush, green corner. To do this, you can use multi-tiered beds or make a green wall on the basis of the frame and weaving plants. The framework can serve as arches, gratings, fences, facades of buildings. Plants are better to choose a variety, so as not to have a feeling of monotony.
- A great solution is planting plants on a cascade basis. Small plants are pushed to the fore, and high - on the back. For this you can use decorative pots and vases. Using this technique, it turns out to create the effect of a garden stretching upwards. In addition, flowers in pots and vases can be rearranged from time to time, creating new compositions.
- Divide the plot into zones. One of the successful techniques is the organization of multi-level zones. Recreation area can be placed on the podium, and for the garden to prepare a lower place. However, it is not necessary to allocate zones with different ground levels. You can apply illusions by choosing a coating of different materials and shades for different zones.
- Sow the lawn. No matter how small the plot, be sure to consider a lawn.Firstly, it creates an ideal platform for planting beds and composing compositions, and secondly, because of the size of the plot on it, it is most likely that it will not be possible to build a complete system of paths with access to all corners of the territory and will have to walk along the lawn.
- When making the zones with decorative fences or gratings, choose white products. In all the best stick to the light range.
Beautiful examples and options
Even such a tiny plot can be turned into a real paradise. The bright colors of the lawn effectively set off the variety of various plants framing it around the perimeter.
A great option for those who prefer to have breakfast in the fresh air.
Very effective option for registration of local area. For decoration, elements of wrought metal and wood were used.
In the next video, a famous American designer gives advice on the improvement of the dacha