Choosing a wall mirror
The mirror is an independent element and a key figure in the interior design. In addition to practical functions, it serves as an excellent decoration of the room.
Features and benefits
Wall mirrors do not go out of fashion and remain popular for many years, They are comfortable, stylish and have a number of undeniable advantages:
- Visually increase the space and make it lighter.
Proper arrangement of mirrors and properly selected lighting can visually expand and significantly transform the room.
- The mirror is able to level the flaws of the layout and hide the defects of the wall.
- Wall models do not occupy space, which allows them to be placed in small rooms of hallways, bathrooms and corridors.
- These products are securely fixed on the wall and less susceptible to damage than outdoor types. This allows you to place wall models in rooms with fairly heavy traffic (for example, gyms, theaters, museums, medical, educational institutions). Such a mirror can not be dropped and broken by an awkward movement, which minimizes the risk of injury and allows the use of wall models in children's institutions.
- Mirrors are quite mobile, if necessary, the product can easily be moved to another location.
- A wide range of products with a wide variety of sizes, shapes and design will allow you to choose a product for any interior and implement the most daring design solutions.
Modern manufacturers produce a huge number of various models of mirrors, differing in their decorative and functional qualities. Due to the huge choice and wide price range, there is a possibility to choose mirrors for every taste and budget.
Many models have a decorative frame, which is the main element in shaping the look and style of the product. Frames can be forged, plastic, metal and wood. The most budget are the frames made of chipboard. Such products will be a good option for decoration of hallways and bathrooms. More expensive and refined frames are made of natural wood or forged. Some species perform unframed.
The mirror itself may have an aluminum or silver coating. (amalgam), which is a mirror film and creates a reflection effect. Aluminum models are less durable and have low moisture resistance, so they can not be used in rooms with high humidity. Silver-coated mirrors have a perfect reflection, have no distortion effect and are characterized by a long service life.
The cost of such models is significantly higher than that of aluminum counterparts.
By their dimensions, wall mirrors come in several forms. Large varieties are designed to reflect the person in full growth.Their height should be not less than one meter, and the width varies from 80 to 100 cm. In trellis versions, individual canvases can be narrower and have a width of 30 cm. The upper edge of long mirrors should be at a distance from 1.7 to two. meters from the floor. This will allow the person to see himself in full growth at any distance from the mirror.
Medium mirrors are designed to reflect the person to the waist. The height of such models is 40 - 80 centimeters, and the upper edge should be located from the floor at a height of 1.7 to 2 meters. This placement will allow a person to see himself to the waist (in a standing position). Small models up to 40 cm high can be designed to reflect when sitting and standing. In the first case, the mirror should be placed at a comfortable level, depending on the person's height in a sitting position, height and shape of the table. In the second case, the placement is also made individually, taking into account the anthropological data of the user.
Modern trends in interior design involve the use of wall mirrors not only in their traditional functional quality, but also as an element of decor.Modular groups of mirrors are gaining popularity, which are classic round, rectangular shapes made in the form of droplets, fragments and ovals, which exactly repeat each other’s shape but differ in size.
Figured models provide great opportunities for creative approach. and allow you to embody the most daring design ideas. Mirrors made in the form of silhouettes of various objects of the animate and inanimate world are quite in demand. It can be a contour of a branchy tree with a gorgeous crown or a high wave of the sea surf, images of couples in love or flower buds.
Style and design
To date, produced a large number of different wall mirrors that can successfully fit into any style and color of the interior. For a popular retro-style, an artificially aged model, visually indistinguishable from an antique 19th century mirror, would be the ideal option. Amalgam of such products is covered with a layer of special acid compositions, which allows to get a reflection characteristic of vintage photographs. In demand mirrors with the effect of gold, silver and bronze surface, perfectly combined with the decoration of the walls and the decor of the classical style.
On the working surface of such models are often applied drawing, so that the mirror looks elegant and resembles a panel.
Color mirrors are suitable for modern styles. with multi-colored amalgam or colored film pasted on top of it. Survive a rebirth and facet models, known since the days of Venice of the Middle Ages. The surface of this mirror has a multifaceted structure, so that the room begins to play bright glare of the sun, which is reflected in numerous faces.
Panoramic mirrors are quite popular models, they are flat and hemispherical execution. Flat specimens have a large work surface area, often reaching the size of a wall. Such models are appropriate for huge halls and spacious living country houses. Hemispherical models are medium in size and able to reflect the entire room. Such models, as a rule, do not have frames, they are used in modern futuristic interiors and trading floors.
Illuminated models are often used in bathrooms and hallways. The luminaire is installed behind the reflective surface, creating the effect of soft diffused illumination.Internal lighting is convenient because the lamp is protected by a mirror screen, the risk of damage to the device from the ingress of water droplets is completely excluded. Rays of light evenly spread around the mirror, creating an atmosphere of warmth and comfort. An interesting invention is the mirror-TV. In the off state, the device is an ordinary mirror surface, which when turned on turns into a TV screen.
In order for the mirror to be successfully combined with the decor, it is necessary to take into account its stylistic design and design. For the Empire and Baroque styles, oval models in gilded frames, repeating framing of paintings, wall and ceiling decoration elements are suitable. Models of curvilinear forms with carved wooden or bronze frames, decorated with decorative stucco and embossed decorations will successfully fit into the Rococo style. For Art Nouveau, a slightly curved mirror with a frame decorated with floral patterns will be a good solution. When painting frames instead of gilding, they use a transparent lacquer, which emphasizes the naturalness of the frame and focuses attention on the aesthetics of the wood fiber pattern.
For techno and hi-tech models fit in a thin frame, made of brushed or chrome-plated metal. Both single instances and modular compositions consisting of individual elements are appropriate.
For a gentle Provence, you should choose a mirror in a wooden relief frame of rich white color; for futurism, a wrought-iron frame that will look especially good in combination with an openwork forged headboard will be a good solution.
How to choose?
Before you start choosing a wall mirror, you need to decide on its size. For bathrooms, a mounted mirror with convenient shelves, adapted to accommodate hygienic accessories, is suitable. It is usually placed above the sink. On the reverse side, the surface of the product should be blue or dark green, which guarantees high moisture-resistant properties of amalgam and implies a long service life. Growth mirror is appropriate for large bathrooms, it should not have a frame made of wood or chipboard, it can be equipped with interior lighting or color inserts.
In the living room mirrors are more decorative function, they are chosen as one of the independent elements of the interior, corresponding to the style of the room. Several items of unusual shape, formed into a panel and occupying the entire wall, will visually increase the space and, thanks to the reflection of the interior, will create a beautiful effect. Mirror frames for the living room are the main decorative function and participate in the formation of the image of the room. Their choice should be given special attention. Framing should be combined with picture frames, pieces of furniture and decorative elements.
Place the model in the living room should be on the wall, not cluttered with furniture, away from the paintings. If there is a fireplace in the room, a mantelpiece would be the best accommodation option. If the room has a desk or piano, a mirror can be placed above them. This will allow the working person to see what is happening in the room without turning around, which contributes to the full psychological comfort.
Popular is the "storyboard" technique. It is located near several large rectangular or square models. Frames in such specimens can replace the sandblasted framing of paintings or diamond engraving contours.In small living rooms you can place two identical mirrors on opposite walls: this will visually expand the room and allow you to see your reflection from all sides.
A mirror in the shape of an animal or a fairytale hero will be suitable for a children's room, but it should not be very large so as not to cause the child to feel anxious and distract from games.
In the bedroom for the girl, you can choose a romantic flower-shaped models or an oval mirror with pink amalgam. When choosing, it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the certificates of conformity, excluding the presence of lead in the composition of the coating and guaranteeing safe operation. Particular attention should be paid to the edge of the product, pay enough attention to secure the mirror. These measures will help to avoid damage to the product and injury to the child.
In the bedroom, it is recommended to purchase medium-sized specimens and arrange them in such a way that the bed is not reflected in the mirror. A good option would be to purchase a small model with internal illumination. It can be placed above the dressing table.The original solution will be a designer mirror in a forged frame, harmoniously combined with the openwork and ornate legs of the tables and beds.
For placement in the hallways is well suited high growth mirror, in which you can see your reflection in full growth. Often used wall tricuspid model with a rotating mechanism for the movement of the side canvases. If necessary, the side mirrors can be set at a certain angle, which makes it possible to view from different angles. In narrow hallways, the mirror should be fixed on the side wall: this will visually push the walls apart and increase the space.
In kitchens, a mirror can be placed away from the stove and sink. It will be appropriate to look at a free wall or in the dining area. A mirror will fill the kitchen with light and make it more spacious. When choosing a background for a wall mirror, one should take into account that the dark color creates the effect of an additional window, and light walls allow the mirror to merge with the interior and fill the room with light.
So that the mirror does not lose its original appearance, does not become dim and lasts as long as possible, it is necessary to take care of him regularly and follow some rules:
- To avoid the appearance of stains, the mirror should be protected from direct sunlight and exposure to high temperatures.
Models that do not have high moisture-resistant properties should be protected from excessive moisture.
- The reverse side of the mirror requires delicate care. It can not be washed with a wet cloth and cleaned with glass washing liquids. The silver coating is sensitive to chemical compounds and liquid ammonia, therefore, the back side should be treated with a dry napkin or a cloth dipped in a weak solution of vinegar.
- To wash the front surface, you can use the home remedy: prepare a mixture of two glasses of hot water, 50 g of vinegar and the same amount of chalk. The components must be well mixed and allowed to settle. Then you need to moisten in this solution a soft cloth and wipe the mirror surface.
- Traditional recipes are advised to wipe the mirror with infusion of tea, milk, salt water or a weak solution of blue. These tools will give the surface freshness and shine.Remove the spots will help solution from one tablespoon of vinegar and a glass of warm water.
- Drops from hair spray are well removed with cheap cologne. Spots from flies need to wipe with a cut in half onion, and then wipe with a rag dipped in a solution of water and blue. Next, rub the surface to shine with a dry soft cloth.
- To enhance the moisture-resistant qualities of the mirror, you need to rub the back side with a mixture of melted wax and turpentine, taken in a 1: 2 ratio.
Beautiful examples and options
The wall mirror is an indispensable element of the decor, it perfectly transforms the interior and makes the room spacious and bright:
- a large mirror in a stylish wooden frame perfectly combines with any modern interior;
- designer exclusive model will become the center of attention and bring a touch of luxury and aristocracy into the room;
- decorative design of the edge of the canvas will make the room stylish and unusual;
- installation of several mirrors will create in the room a unique atmosphere of warmth and comfort;
- a simple model of a classic round shape will fit harmoniously into the hallway or corridor;
- wall mirror clocks - the perfect solution for office or apartment decoration.
How to hang a mirror, see the following video.